Designed as a gold five rouble coin from 1773 depicting Catherine The Great, to a background embellished with pale red guilloché enamel, within an annular border of rose-cut diamonds accented at five points by a cabochon-cut emeralds, Late 19th Century, Russian assay mark '56' for gold, workmaster’s mark ‘OP’ for Oskar Pihl, 2.8cm wide. Accompanied by its original wooden fitted case, the silk lid inlay stamped 'K.Faberge' in gold Cyrillic lettering below the imperial eagle. Together with the original catalogue for a loan exhibition of Carl Fabergé works organised by Wartski in 1949 in which this brooch featured, the anouncement card for the exhibition which was held 9th - 25th November, the invitation card in its envelope and subsequent letter from Wartski announcing the return of the brooch at the end of the exhibition in December 1949. Further details on the coin: The bust of Catherine II to the obverse is crowned by the words “By the Grace of God, Catherine II, Empress, Autocrat of all the Russias” in Cyrillic, below the bust there is also the St Petersburg mint mark. The reverse of the coin is decorated with four crowned shield motifs centring on the Imperial double-headed eagle. Starting with the top shield, the arms displayed are as follows: The upper shield is a depiction of Saint George defeating the dragon which is a representation of Moscow, to its right are the arms of Kazan which were represented by a crowned Zilant, a winged dragon snake, followed by the arms of Siberia depicted by two rampant sables carrying a bow, supporting two crossed arrows and a crown, and finally the arms of Astrakhan depicting by a crown over a scimitar. The date 1773 is dispersed with each digit in one of the four corners. Bordering the display of the four crowned shields is the Cyrillic inscription: “Imperial Russian coin, value five Roubles” Literature: Cf. Henry Charles Bainbridge, Peter Carl Faberge: Goldsmith and Jeweller to the Russian Imperial Court, Hamlyn Publishing Group Ltd. London 1949, P. 56. Exhibition: Wartski, 138 Regent Street, London, November 8th - 25th 1949. Exhibit number 152. “Lent by Mrs.J.Piper. A Gold Five-Rouble Piece enamelled a flame colour, set with five cabochon emeralds and rose-cut diamonds mounted as a brooch."
Please enquire here.